Tuesday, January 22, 2013

You've Got a Friend in Me

1-22-13

Lauren,

As I lay here with my laptop in my lap, my new earbuds in my ears, and Jimmy Eat World's "23" playing on my computer, I find myself thinking of yet another thing to write about.  Gasp! Two posts in two days?! . . .yeah, I thought you might say that.  Sometimes the inspiration comes and goes, and other times it comes and it stays for a while.  It's all part of being a writer.  But anyway. . .

So today I had a whole day off with NO plans whatsoever.  For me, that is simply unheard of.  I spend most of my days at work, and when I'm not working, I spend most of my time in doctors' offices.  But today, I spent the day at home.  I cleaned my room (kind of).  I did the dishes.  I did some laundry.  Basically, I did fun adult stuff (okay, maybe not fun, but definitely adult chores.  Blah.).  But as the day went on I found myself getting antsy.  I'm still going stir crazy now.  But I've kind of given up on the fact that I won't be going anywhere today.  These kinds of days tend to put me in a mood.  I haven't had too many of them lately where I've been so busy, but today of course I came face to face with that mood.

As you and I have been talking about quite a bit lately, people change and friends grow apart or move as you get older.  Best friends become old friends, and new acquaintances become best friends. It's just a part of growing up.  I've had the same best friend for as long as I can remember.  She has been my rock, and she becomes more and more important to me as we grow older.  I truly cherish the fact that she and I have been able to make our friendship endure so many years of craziness and hardships.  She is a friend that I know I will keep forever.  Of course, I have other friends that I have known forever.  Unfortunately, for one reason or another, these friends have become distant and I don't get to see or talk to them as much as I'd like to.  And then there are the friends that you just have to let go of.  I've had a few of those, too.  They are always in your memories, and probably always will be in your heart, too, but for one reason or another you just can't stay friends with them.  And so tonight, as I sit here with nothing to do and no one to hang out with, I am reminded of how few true friends I am left with these days.

Now just because I am alone right now, it doesn't not mean that I am always alone, and this post is not meant to be a depressing one.  It is just what it is: the truth.  People grow up, they move away, they change, they find new friends, and you are left figuring out who to keep around and who to let go.  I hope you are always surrounded with great friends.  And I hope you realize that just because you may lose a friend or two as you get older, it doesn't necessarily say anything negative about you.  It is just a part of life.

I will always be your friend, even if you annoy the crap out of me! Keep your head up girly.

Love,

Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment