Saturday, February 18, 2012

Getting My Stuff Straight

2-18-12

Lauren,

Hey.  So I started reading a book recently that really has me thinking these past few days.  It's called "Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man" by Steve Harvey.  Yes, it's one of those relationship books, but it's pretty interesting and thought-provoking, which means it has my attention.  Unfortunately, I can't share everything with you that I have found interesting in the book.  One, I just don't have enough space to do that, and two, some of it would probably be above your head considering your age.  I'll make sure to share the extra stuff in your journal, though, so that maybe you can read it one day when you're older.

So let me share with you the one idea from the book that really has me pondering some things.  It's the idea that until a guy is sure of who he is, what he does, and how much he makes, he will not be able to be in a productive, loving relationship.  But I'm starting to wonder if this could be indicative of both men and women.  This has got me thinking about the past eight months in which I've been single.  In all of those months, I have not met one guy that I would want to date.  While that has something to do with the type of guys I have met, I think it also reflects my own life at this point.  Right now, I'm pretty sure of who I am, but that's about it.  I'm not sure about what I want to do, and I'm definitely not content with how much I make.  And until I figure these last two out, I don't think I'd be able to focus on a relationship.  Right now, I'd rather focus my time on getting MY life straight than focusing on making a life with another person.  But I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, either.  Who would want to date someone that wasn't sure of how they wanted their life to go?

Maybe it's time for me to start getting serious with my goals.  I know I want to go back to school, but that's kind of been put on hold because of surgery and financial costs that go along with both.  Maybe I need to set some short-term goals, like finding a better, more stable job.  Being a day-to-day person really helps eliminate a lot of stress with everyday life, but when it comes time for me to make big decisions, I know I'm going to wish I had planned ahead.

I hope you're having a good weekend.  Enjoy being a teenager while you can!  I know it might not seem like the best thing, especially when you're going through puberty and you have the awkwardness that comes from changing from a kid to a young adult, but being an adult is so much harder until you can figure it out.  And I'm still working on figuring it out.  Keep your head up!

Love,

Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment