Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Things We Take for Granted

2-4-12

Lauren,

Today is my last day of no driving, and I have to tell you, I'm pretty psyched.  I can't wait to get back out there!  After a week of almost bed-rest, I'm anxious to be able to see my friends, and to be able to do the things that I was doing before I went into the hospital last weekend. 

Experiences like this one quite often open a person's eyes to the things that we take for granted in everyday life.  One major thing for me has been driving.  Ever since I was 16, I have been able to come and go in my car as I please, with the only restriction being my parents when I was still in high school.  But this past week, I wasn't able to do that.  I had to stay in bed, whether it was at the hospital or at home, and not drive my car.  Another major thing has been my overall independence.  I am a VERY independent, stubborn person, so for me to have to rely on other people was a major change.  I didn't like the fact that I had to ask for help when washing my hair, or getting out of bed, or even the fact that I had to call a nurse every time I wanted to be unhooked.  Those were all big challenges for me. 

The other major thing I noticed that I take for granted is people.  People like Mom and Dad, and my friends, even you and Chrysta.  You see these people everyday, and expect certain things from them, but when you're in a situation like I was, they don't HAVE to be there for you.  As an adult, I'm pretty much on my own.  But Mom and Dad were there everyday if they could be, and even helped me with things that any normal functioning adult wouldn't need help with.  My friends stopped by when they could, and offered to bring me anything that would make me comfortable.  People are probably one of the things we take for granted the most.  And I really learned that this week.

So try to notice the things you take for granted.  Whether it be your friends, or the television, or the meals you eat every night, notice them, and when you do maybe you'll appreciate them a little more.  I know I do!

Love,

Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment