Friday, February 24, 2012

She's Getting Married!

2-24-12

Lauren,

Hey! I have something special I want to talk to you about today.  I'm not sure if you heard or not, but a few days ago Bobby and Chrysta became engaged.  This is something our family has been waiting for for a while.  After being together off and on since 6th grade, and after having a child together, it almost seemed inevitable that it would happen.  And it finally did!

Normally in the movies when a sister tells another sister that she's getting married, the one sister gets all excited for her, jumping up and down, probably squealing a bit, and usually gives the engaged sister multiple hugs.  That's the movies, though.  When Chrysta told me she was engaged, my reaction was nothing like that.  It was quite the opposite, actually.  First, Chrysta told me through text, so it's not like I could reach through my cell phone and hug her brains out.  And I don't really like hugging family members (I know, I'm weird), so it would've been strange to hug her anyway.  When she texted me, my response was "Yay. . ."   After first, it was all I could think of to say.  I know. . .a little insensitive, right?  She didn't really like that response much, and I guess I can see why.  I really do think I lack a certain bone or fragment of DNA that makes me capable of responding to such events with happiness and glee.  When I open presents, I do it without showing emotion.  I'm incapable of buying a sappy birthday card, and when someone uses a term of endearment like "sweetie" or "honey," it makes me cringe a little inside. Either way, my reaction to Chrysta's engagement was a little, well, lame.

So what do you think? One of your sisters is finally getting married.  It was obviously going to be Chrysta first.  I never plan on getting married, and if I do, that guy is going to have to be something pretty darn special to change my mind about the whole marriage thing. 

Love,

Meghan

1 comment:

  1. ......and he will be! ;) love you sweetie - mom

    ReplyDelete